Today’s episode looks at the explosive, jubilant, revolutionary music from Zimbabwean greats, past, present and future.
1. “Lion Songs – Thomas Mapfumo And The Music That Made Zimbabwe” by Banning Eyre, producer of Afro-Pop Worldwide.
2. Whilst we’re at it, Afro-Pop Worldwide is an inspiration for practically everything I’ve ever done.
3. Analog Africa is doing an incredible job at re-issuing deeply researched, high quality music from the continent, including Zimbabwean superstars The Green Arrows.
4. Leonard Dembo’s remixed (?) video for Chitekete will make your day.
5. Worthwhile documentary on Mbira and the country’s struggle to independence by Simon Bright, “Mbira, Spirit Of The People”.